The Hillman Husky Story


The Hillman Husky Story

          We were living in San Angelo, Texas in 1970 when I received a call from a little church in Lockney, Texas up in the Panhandle asking if I would come to Lockney and conduct a singing school at their church.  I was to teach church music mornings and evenings and then preach twice on Sundays.  Of course, I was eager to do that because I had conducted several singing schools in the past but I had been away from teaching singing for several years while we were living in the Northwest.  My singing school experience goes all the way back to when Mary and I were kids at home.

          My Dad loved gospel music and he made sure that Mary and I went to every singing convention and singing school that was anywhere nearby.  The first singing school that I remember was in about 1936 and was held at the old Mitchell Creek Baptist Church (The old church building has long since fallen down.) in the Pony Creek community about 10 miles south of Stephenville, Texas.  A man by the name of Spurgeon Sprawls (1890-1967) was the song instructor.  I guess he was a good singer and instructor but my brothers said had the smell of liquor on his breath every night at the singing school.  This didn’t seem to stop my dad.  As I recall we went almost every night.
           
          The first time I ever remember leading a song was a little later, maybe about 1938 or 1939 after we moved to Arkansas.  We attended the little Cedar Creek Church of Christ near Havana.  We actually lived at Blue Mountain, Arkansas which was at the foot of Mount Magazine the highest mountain in Arkansas.  We would catch a ride to church with a neighbor, George Hughes, on his old logging truck.  This was just a pole truck, as I remember, that had no bed or place to sit on the back so Philip and Wyatt would ride on the running boards or stand on the 5th wheel all the way to
church.  Mary and I would probably sit in the cab on Mom and Dad’s laps for the trip to church. 
         
          It must have been during a singing school or a gospel meeting that was conducted by the late Odell White.  I know it was a Sunday afternoon during a singing when it happened.  I certainly didn’t understand all the rules that little boys who were not baptized were not supposed to have any leading part in a church service.  But on that last Sunday of the meeting all the men and boys were getting up and leading a song.  I didn’t know if they were just getting up to lead on their own or if someone was calling on them or just what, but when there came a lull in the singing, I saw my chance.  I jumped up out of my seat and announced my number just like I had been hearing all the other guys do.  Then I proceeded to lead my song.  I still remember the song:  “There’s a fountain free / ‘tis for you and me / let us haste, O haste to its brink.”  I thought that was the prettiest song I ever heard.  Everyone sang, I guess, and as I remember nobody said anything afterward even though I had probably broken all the rules of protocol in the book, but I didn’t care, I knew I could do it.

          So I had lots of singing school experience beginning with Spurgeon Sprawls.  Homer Pendleton conducted several singing schools in the little Methodist church where we lived in the Selden community south of Stephenville.  Dad would take Mary and me to Stephenville where we would go to the singing schools of Ernest Rippetoe who was the pastor at the Washington Street Baptist Church in Stephenville.  Ernest was the brother of Walter Rippetoe of the original Stamps Quartet.  He was also a song writer and singer.  I also took voice lessons from Mrs. L. D. (Hazel) Hufstetler.  She was a voice instructor for the Stamps School of Music in Dallas and would come to Stephenville to teach voice.  And dad would always take us to the all night Texas State Singing Convention at Stephenville.

          On top of these singing schools I had conducted several singing school of my own.  I started in Seagraves, Texas where I had my first ministry.  I taught several singing schools there in the summers of 1958 through 1963.  And in addition to this I conducted singing schools in Midland for several years, along with Muleshoe and Tulia and maybe some other places that I can’t remember.  So, when the church at Lockney called and wanted me to teach a singing school there, I was ready.

           Well, our son David was out of school for the summer between his high school sophomore and junior years with nothing to do for the summer.  San Angelo was just not exactly booming with jobs for teens in 1970.  So I said to him, “David, if you will go with me to Lockney and help me with the singing school, I will give you half of everything they pay us.”  This was right up David’s alley.  You see, he had already been exposed to all that I knew about music but he knew a lot more about it than I ever would.  He was playing the trumpet in the school band and, as you may know, school band music is a whole different animal than the more docile church music—even what I thought was more up-beat music in the Southern Gospel and Stamps Baxter style of music.  David knew music and he loved to sing so I knew he could be a great help at the Lockney singing school.

          So David jumped at the chance to go with me to Lockney and we had a blast.  We were able to sing with some of the very best singers in church music in the country, or at least that we knew about.  What a great week we had, and when we were ready to go home they gave us a check for our work--$400.00.  That was more money than David and I had ever seen in one pile in our lives.  And when we got back home to San Angelo, even though it pained me to no end, I lived up to my end of the bargain and gave David the $200, his half of what we had received.  He went straight to the store and bought himself a brand new pair of cowboy boots that he had been wanting for a long time and that he had been ogling for weeks. I think they cost about $50 leaving him with about $150.

          About that time of year we had decided to return to the Northwest.  The church that we had begun in Spokane, Washington had fallen on hard times and was in desperate need of help.  Jewell and I did not think we could just abandon the ministry that we had begun there so we made the decision to return.  Of course, you guessed it; I needed money, so I borrowed the $150 that David had left to help with our expenses and our move.  I did not know how, or if, I would ever be able to pay him back.

          When we got back to Spokane we discovered that Larry Cash had left an old car there for us to try to sell for him.  It was a 1941 Chrysler Windsor two door coupe with a fluid drive transmission.  David sort of claimed that old car and drove it a little until I sold it to Bob Mayhugh who lived at Kennewick, Washington.  Bob gave it to his daughter, Becky, to drive.  That left David with no car at all.  The only car we had was the 1964 Cadillac family car.  What were we to do?

As it happened, a friend of ours, Gary Stanford, was being discharged from the Air Force.  He had been stationed at Fairchild Air Force Base which was the SAC base at Spokane.  He and his wife were moving back to their home in Virginia.  And so, he had a little car called a “Hillman Husky.”  This was a 1959 model and was one of the first SUV around.  Somehow I was able to get that little car. It was such a fun little car to drive.


And so, what did I do?  I still owed David $150 that I had borrowed months before that was his part of the money we received from holding that singing school in Lockney.  So I decided to give David that little car for the $150 that I owed him.  That suited him to a tee.  He drove that little car everywhere as did Jewell and I.  Once, Jewell was driving the little Husky with Bobbie Grow up a little hill on a cold, icy winter day when it began to slip and slide and was not able to get up the hill.  Jewell and Bobbie each put their foot out the doors on each side and gave the car a little push with their feet and up the hill they went.  When my dad and mom came to visit us in Spokane in 1971 I took my dad high upon the mountains in Idaho and showed him where we picked huckleberries in the fall.  But as fun as the Husky was, it was not all that David wanted or needed.

            David was going to school at that time at Shadle High School in Spokane.  Sometimes he would walk through the alley at the back of our house to School a few blocks away.  It so happened that there was a 1956 Chevrolet, green and white, sitting up on blocks in the back yard of one of the houses on the next street over from ours.  David fell in love with that car.  Every time he walked down the alley he would eye that car and wondered if they would sell it.  There is another part of this story that needs to be told right here.

You see, David had a school friend who had also fallen on hard times. His mother was getting married again for the 6th or 7th time and was moving to another part of town.  Jim Locke was David’s friend.  He wanted to finish going to school at Shadle High with his class so we agreed for him to move in with us and live with us until he graduated.  Jim was always having automobile problems.  At first he had a 1953 Plymouth that had one green fender and one black fender.  Then he traded for an old 1959 Dodge.  It wasn’t any better than the Plymouth.  Later he had a Renault Dauphine that had transmission troubles.  He also had a really good looking ’64 Chevrolet Impala two door hardtop.  This was a really sharp car.  Wrecked!  And finally he bought a brand new 1971 orange Ford Pinto.  I will have to tell you about the Pinto later. 

But back to the ’59 Dodge.  Jim was trying to sell the Dodge and had put a sign in the window and maybe had advertized in the newspaper.  And as it happened Jim’s Dodge and David’s Husky were setting out in front of our house when two men came by to look at the Dodge.  They definitely did not want the Dodge but they ask about the Husky and if David would sell it.  David came running into the house and wanted to know if he could sell the Hillman and buy the 1956 Chevrolet that was up on the blocks in our neighbor’s back yard.  We told him to go ask the neighbor if he would sell the Chevrolet so he tore out through the back door and down the alley to the neighbors and asked if they would sell the old ’56.  Sure enough they said they would.  $100.00!  David could hardly wait.  Back to the front yard where the two men were waiting!  $150.00 for the Hillman!  Fine!  David got his money.  That was exactly the amount that I had borrowed from him a couple of years before.  Jim Locke was livid.  Here he had been trying to sell his old Dodge and David took over his prospective buyers.  But David didn’t care.  He took his money and bought the ’56 Chevrolet that same day.  Did he get a bargain?

            We could hardly wait to get started on the Chevrolet.  We aired up the tires, checked the antifreeze, changed the spark plugs and points, put a new battery on it, filled it with gasoline and fired it up.  It ran like a new one, well, almost.  David drove that car all the rest of the school year until he graduated in 1972.  He and his mother reupholstered the seats and door panels.  And finally David drove it to Colorado and Texas.  I don’t know how many thousand miles he drove it.  He was living in Fort Worth with his Uncle Wyatt and Aunt Joy and drove to Dallas to work every day and then to Ballinger to visit Twila on the weekend.  When he and Twila were married in 1973, I helped him chain the hood down to keep wedding pranksters from tampering with the engine. 

I know David really loved that car and that it pained him deeply to have to trade it in when it would no longer serve his need.  But we all remember the Hillman Husky with fondness and the fun we all had with it.  And I am so thankful for that little car because it helped me to repay David the full amount that he earned helping me with that singing school in Lockney.  But more than that, I believe it helped David become the man and the person he is today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Story of the Cow in the Bog

A Love Story